Suga's is located in the Coale Building at the corner of Bowie and Park in Downtown Beaumont, Texas. The Coale Building was built in 1914 and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. "A lot of eye for detail went into it and trying to make it a diamond in the rough".
The building, built in about 1914, was owned by former Beaumont Mayor Ray A. Coale. In the 1940s, the building was home to Joe's Barbershop. "It was a typical 1940s barbershop," Joseph Canizaro said. "He did shaves, massages and back in those days, they had a shoeshine." After Joseph's father moved out, some seedier patrons moved in.
The building was part of the red light district during the 1950s and 1960s. The Coale Building was home to the Bowie or Domino Club, an illegal gambling venue, which catered to customers from throughout the region. The club was raided on Dec. 3, 1961 as part of the Investigative Committee of the 57th Legislature of the State of Texas (James Commission) crackdown on gambling, prostitution, and other illegal activities in downtown Beaumont.
Soon after the raid, Hodgson, Stone & Doiron Insurance Agency moved in. At some point, the building even housed a dance hall for teenagers. Many of our patrons remember coming to the club for dances and even remember the Big Bopper playing here shortly before his death.
In the 1970s and 80s, the building was home to more reputable businesses including L. Merle & Associates and Kwik Copy. Later, a photo studio moved in until the mid-90s. Now Suga's, which opened Dec. 9, 2005, has moved in.
Suga's Deep South Cuisine and Jazz Bar takes great pride in our location and our building. Suga's won an honorable mention for Best Building Restoration in the 2006 President's Awards. The award for Best Building Restoration recognizes excellence in the restoration of the interior or exterior of an existing building in the downtown or commercial district. Restoration focuses on the retention of materials from the most significant time in a property's history, while permitting the removal of materials from other periods.